Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Journey!


I have an amazing little Pug, CH Brenich Sharp Dressed Man, known to everyone as Sharpie. I like to refer to him as my Border Collie in Pug clothing. He would do anything I ask him to do, and do it with energy and enthusiasm.

With Sharpie by my side I embarked on the journey into K9 Nose Work. He took to it immediately! What Pug wouldn't? He got to find food and eat! A perfect sport for Pugs! We attended a 2 day seminar in Iowa and we were both hooked. I knew I wanted to teach this activity but I needed Sharpie's help to achieve that goal. 

I received my certification earlier this year but it wasn't until today that I realized just how much Sharpie has learned and just how much our partnership has taught me. Through the last 2 years he has learned to recognize 3 individual odors. Sharpie has learned to search vehicles, interior rooms, exterior locations, and containers for these odors. He has learned to tell me when he has found the hidden odor, in anticipation of his food reward. He has won an element In a trial, the first Pug in the history of the sport to do so. He has yet to get his initial title. We've competed at two trials. I failed him the first time, as nerves got the better of me and I called the first search too early. We passed the remaining three elements. The second trial we almost didn't compete as he was recovering from an eye injury. But he got the okay from the vet and although he wasn't as jazzed up as usual in the morning, he passed the afternoon elements with flying colors, even winning the exterior search in less than 10 seconds! He has proven that a Pug can do anything the owner is willing to teach.

More importantly he has taught me how to trust my dog. He has taught me to pay attention to the smallest of details as he searches. Details such as breathing patterns, body movements, ear positions, and tail positions. He has taught me patience. He has taught me humility. He has taught me that it isn't whether you pass, it's about having fun together.

His search style has helped me to be a better instructor for my students. He's taught me to think about the "why" if a search isn't easy. His ability to find the edge of the scent cone, affectionately known as the "Sharpie circle" to everyone who knows him in the sport, has taught others to really learn to watch their dog, and to stop worrying if they go slightly outside the search area. Sharpie has taught me to get creative when faced with each new problem we encounter together. Our experiences together have helped me be a better instructor so my students can be better trainers.

All of my initial Nose Work students have now passed their initial odor recognition test. Two have passed the second odor as well. One is competing at the same level as Sharpie and I. I've made some wonderful new friends, fellow instructors who are enjoying their own journeys, and fellow competitors who are having fun seeing what their own dogs can do. 

I owe it all to an amazing Pug who gives me 100% every time! Sharpie, thanks for letting me take this ride with you. You never cease to amaze me. We will enter another trial soon. And I promise to try not blow it again! Be patient with me. I am a human after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment