Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The Lena Files - Day One


Also Known As - Training the overly aroused puppy

Most of my students know that I have a young Pug who I use as a reference for training challeges. I LOVE this type of dog! The dog that has a lot of energy, finds focus challenging, and wants to be "on the go" all the time. I've had much success in the conformation ring with just this type of dog, in a variety of breeds.

Lena's mother was just such a dog. Other people had tried, without success, to show her to her championship. I got her in January and with just a little confidence building and focus work, showed her to her championship in just under 4 months, with very limited showing. Lena's father is a great show dog, but he has some "quirks" at home. Lena's "over the top" behavior is the result of her genetics.

Lena has trouble standing still. She isn't confident, but acts tough when she is in a familiar place. She can exhibit barrier frustration
. She constantly uses her mouth, earning her the nick-name "piranha!" She gets along with other dogs and loves people. She's the type of dog most owners would say has "ADHD."

I decided to chronicle my training journey with her so others can see that a dog trainer's dog isn't always perfect. We have the same challenges as our students. Here is day one:

Focus exercises were the key. Lena needs to learn heel position, how to remain focused with distractions, and how to keep all four feet on the ground. She has a pretty solid recall, a solid target (hand) touch and a beautiful mat (place training) settle. I decided to use platform training to help teach her to stand still, and hand targeting to teach her heel position.


Exercise #1 - FRONTS UP - I used a short platform to teach her to put both front feet up and stand still. I use a marker word "YES" and then treat with a food reward (Lena works for kibble!) Multiple short training sessions were accomplished today and we worked this with the platform in front of me, as well as on my left side in heel position.

Exercise #2 - FRONT - The standard obedience recall + sit in front (I refer to this as "nose to toes" position) Lena needs to learn not to jump up. I cued a recall with "FRONT" and then used a "flash lure" of food to cue sit as she came barreling in towards my legs. Without the flash lure Lena's standard behavior is a default jump. I incorporated the exercise of "back up and sit," one of my favorite focus exercises.

Exercise #3 - HEEL - Teaching heel position is most often done through luring forward. For Lena, forward motion equals WOO HOO! I am choosing to teach her the focus part of heeling first, then add the forward motion. Using a hand target (my left hand, with the pointer finger extended) complete with a food lure, I am choosing to walk backwards one step after giving the cue "HEEL" and then marking Lena for every step she takes while focused on the target hand. With dogs like Lena progressing too quickly is a recipe for losing focus.

In addition I am using the platform to create heel position. The cue "HEEL" is really a position cue, not a motion cue. Once Lena learned fronts up I can then cue her to do it in heel position.

Why am I doing this? Because Lena NEEDS it. She wants to work. She wants to please. She's just not hard wired for calm behavior. It is my job to teach it.

Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment